My General Blog


Ear Infections and Children – What You Should Know  

No parent wants their child to be in pain. So if your child wakes up complaining of ear pain, you may find yourself wondering if it is something that will resolve on their own or if it something they should be seen by a professional, like Goshen Medical Center, for. Here is what you need to know.

How to Relieve Ear Pain at Home

If your child is experiencing ear pain at home, you will want to work to relieve their ear pain. Giving the child an over-the-counter pain reliever can help to reduce some of the pain they feel. If you do decide to provide them with over-the-counter medication, be sure to carefully read the dosage instructions. The dosage instructions for children’s medication tends to vary based on the age and weight of your child.

In addition to using over-the-counter medications, a heating pad can be placed behind the ear to help relieve some of the pain your child is experiencing. Massaging that area may also help to provide some relief.

Signs Your Child Needs to Be Seen By a Professional

There are a number of different reasons why a child’s ear may hurt. They may have gotten water in the ear, there may be pressure in the ear due to altitude changes, they may have an ear infection, they may have allergies or even tooth problems. In many cases, ear pain relieves itself rather quickly with the use of at home treatments. However, if the pain increases or the pain does not go away within a few days, you will want to take your child in to be seen by a professional. The professional can determine the cause of the ear pain and work to treat it.

If the ear pain is accompanied by discharge from the ear, you should have your child seen by a professional either that day or the next if it is night time.

What Happens if Medical Treatment is Not Provided

When it comes to ear infections, the worst case scenario is that the ear drum ruptures. An ear infection can cause swelling and inflammation that can cause this to happen. When an ear drum ruptures, surgery may be needed to repair the ear drum. Hearing loss can also occur if an ear infection is not properly treated or treated in a timely manner.

In some cases, minor ear pain can relieve on its own. But in other cases, you need to bring your child to a doctor. If your child is experiencing ear pain, Goshen Medical Center, operated by Crystal Run Healthcare, can help. We offer same day appointments and after hours care to help your child get the help they need when they need it.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *